Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Halloween Conundrum

Halloween was always my favorite holiday. I loved coming up with new costumes and running about town begging for candy. I even enjoyed marching along in the town’s parade. As I got older and town rules said I was too old to Trick-Or-Treat I enjoyed donning dark clothes to run about town egging houses and partaking in general mischief. Then it is off to college, a return to actual costumes, only something strange has occurred. Now you can only buy costumes that have the terms “sexy” or ‘naughty” in front of the costume name, i.e. ‘naughty nurse’, ‘sexy cop’ , ‘naughty school girl’, ‘sexy sorceress’. What happened to being interesting or clever? What do these costume choices tell us about society? Nothing good. So I will go back to longing for the days when you could be a peacock or a California Raisin, rather than a Naughty Clown or Sexy Firefighter.

No comments: